News events have turned some people’s attention to Ukrainian restaurants in the United States, either as a way to show our support to the country or as a way to enjoy the cuisine. In my research for the Restaurant Guide on this web site I have found a few Ukrainian restaurants as well as many more that are primarily focused on another country (mainly Russia or Poland) but which serve Ukrainian food. One recent example for me is the Red Rock Deli in Albuquerque which has food from Poland and “Eastern Europe” (including Ukraine), and would give an opportunity to sample this type of food.
This article, though, lists the Ukrainian restaurants from the Restaurant Guide as well as others I have researched over the last few days in which Ukrainian food is the main focus or the only cuisine served. The geographic area for this list is the same that is covered in the Restaurant Guide, i.e. Chicago to the west coast (including all the Southwestern states and most in the Northwest).
In doing the research I did notice a concentration of Ukrainian restaurants in British Columbia and Alberta, but they are not included on the list. Likewise there is a concentration in the Northeastern part of the United States.
- All Pierogi Kitchen–1245 W. Baseline Rd., Mesa. Reviewers say eating here is like having an “Ukrainian mom” doing the cooking. Map
- Soup & Sausage Bistro–13240 N. 7th St., Phoenix. Phoenix New Times says this is a small counter-service spot operated by a Ukrainian born chef. Map
- Pushkin–40 Belden Pl., San Francisco. Food court counter service with outdoor dining available. Map
- Tryzub–2201 W. Chicago Ave., Chicago. Flagship restaurant in the “Ukrainian Village” area of Chicago. Map
- Riel–1927 Fairview St., Houston. “New American” restaurant where the owner has dishes from his Ukrainian heritage along with local dishes from the Gulf Coast area (the majority of dishes are New American) Map
- Inna’s Cuisine–26 N. Wenatchee Ave., Wenatchee. Has a “Tour of Ukraine” dinner. Map
- Katya’s Bakery–12811 8th Ave. W., Everett. Combination bakery (cakes) and Ukrainian restaurant. Google Maps says it is takeout only but I think this is incorrect and they have dine-in service. Map
- Ukrainian Cuisine Restaurant–31811 WA-706, Ashford. Located near the Mt. Rainier entrance. Map